Monday, February 16, 2015

My writing goals





About a year and a half ago, I committed to finishing my novel, and to writing fiction as a broader goal. I'd been trying to write my novel while doing other things, putting it aside for months, working on it spurts, and that just wasn't working. That shouldn't have been a surprise; I never expected that sort of approach to work in any other aspect of my life, so why should it work here?

A year and a half later, I've written three books and several flash pieces, two of which have been published. The main reason I've managed to get as far as I have is that I made the change to setting concrete goals for myself, and held myself accountable.

Now things are a little more complicated. I have several projects instead of just one, and I'm at a stage where I'm facing some scary stuff, like querying agents. So, I'm taking those goals and that accountability to the next level: I'm bringing them here, where they're public and you all can hold me accountable.

Here is the current state of my projects:
Hazel-Green: Should be getting final feedback from my beta readers this week.
MMORPG: Currently revising first draft.
Accidental Divination: First draft is complete, and blissfully hibernating.
Flash pieces: I have one story waiting to be submitted.


So, here is my six-month plan:

February 2015

By the end of February I will:
1) Have a query letter ready to go out to agents.
2) Send that query letter to at least five agents I have researched.*
3) Have finished the narrative summary revision pass of MMORPG.
4) Finish submitting 'Left Overs' (flash fiction piece).


March 2015

By the end of March I will:
1) Finish the final polish on Hazel-Green, based on the beta-reader feedback.
2) Finish the remaining revision on MMORPG.


April 2015

By the end of April I will:
1) Follow up on the query letters sent at the end of February, and send out new letters as needed.**
2) Distribute MMORPG to alpha readers, and get their feedback.
3) Finish my narrative summary revision pass on Accidental Divination.


May 2015

By the end of May I will:
1) Revise MMORPG based on alpha-reader feedback.
2) Follow up on the query letters sent in April, and send out new letters as needed.


June 2015

By the end of June I will:
1) Distribute MMORPG to beta readers.
2) Create query letter for MMORG.
3) Finish the remaining revision on Accidental Divination.
4) Prepare for NaNoWriMo Camp NaNoWriMo in July.


July 2015

By the end of July I will: 
1) Distribute Accidental Divination to Alpha Readers.
2) Send query letters to at least five agents researched for MMORPG.
3) Gather feedback from beta readers for MMORPG.
4) Write 25,000+ words during Camp NaNoWriMo on my next project.


There are a couple of caveats:

*I am also considering submitting this book to Booktrope, and am waiting for feedback on that.

**If I'm super-duper lucky, maybe one of the agents will want pages, or even want to represent me! But I know rejection is far more likely, so I'm not going to count those chickens. I will be very happy to have to revise this plan if they hatch.

***I'd like to write at least 50,000 words, but am building in a bit of a safety net for anything that takes longer than I anticipate.




There it is, in black and white...I'll check in each month and let you know how it goes! I'll re-evaluate and revamp as needed. :)

Happy writing!
M.

14 comments:

  1. Great job at being honest about your goals and where you are heading! It is scary to put it all out there...but I think you will get farther with your goals by doing this! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just finished my first eBook and it should be up on Kindle by the end of the week. I want to write another even though I don't know if anyone will ever read them. I like that you are blogging the explicit details of your plan.I am going to be a regular reader here!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations!! Please leave me the link so I can check it out. Looking forward to talking to you! :)

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on writing books, it is a huge endeavor! I love that you wrote out your goals in order to bring success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. Hopefully something good will come of it! :)

      Delete
  4. I love that you're setting goals for yourself monthly and I wish you TONS of luck with your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how well you planned all of this out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully the planning will help out and make it happen!

      Delete
  6. As someone who is also working on a book... albeit a children's story... I understand taking the time to really sit down and hammer it out. Life gets so crazy when we don't keep ourselves organized. Congrats on your 2 publications btw! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It's amazing how much more time it takes than you think. Good luck with it!!

      Delete
  7. I'm so excited for you! Good luck meeting your goals! Can't wait to read your book! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I hope I can get it to you quickly!! :)

      Delete

Are you a writer? Prove it! Leave me a comment!